Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Frozen

This part of the world is frozen today.

I went down to the river and saw how much of it was thick, only small pools still flowed.

Some large boot prints floated on top.

I paused at those man sized remnants.

Should I be afraid?

I shrugged it off.

Fuck fear.

Instead, thank you big footed boot wearer for letting me know I can go out on the ice.Take a walk on water.

I went out to the middle and stood there considering it all. Water that will soon flow, but for now was willing to hold me.

I noticed how still and quiet it was. The air was calm and windless. The cold bit at my face and fingers. A familiar loneliness, a sublime solitude, out here in the presence of a frozen for now place. It seemed as if the river and trees knew me, what I came with.

Out in the not far distance I could hear the intermittent work of a woodpecker echoing among the stoic trees. It struck me as eerie, haunting, beautiful.

I stayed there, in the middle of the river, a part of it for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment