Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Bright

We took the tree down yesterday. We removed all the ornaments and packed them into their boxes. The lights got pulled down and bundled. Stephen sawed the tree into pieces to make it easier to remove from the house. We gave the tree back to the forest.

When it was gone I felt the empty space, a shadow where there was, just minutes ago, bright light. I felt it within myself as well.

The guests all gone home. The quiet returning.

It was so cold outside, and I was heavy with this emptying, a dullness, an ache. I forgot to go out to greet the full moon and give her the reverence she inspires in me.

This morning we went out to walk the dogs. I turned my head to the left as we made our way to the right, and there she was, dangling down from heaven, incredibly large, floating among the trees, an angel.

My, how bright her light was shining.

And sparked in me a brightening too.

No comments:

Post a Comment